Sew Colette 2.0 : The Peony

Saturday, November 03, 2012

I have a feeling this dress is gonna get a lot of wear out of it...



Like several others I had some fitting issues with those pesky bodice darts.   I thought I had it all figured out but there was still a little puckering in the boobage area to fix.  A big thank you to Rochelle and Lauren for the very helpful post.  I discovered my dart points didn't exactly match up.  After making those adjustments the dress came together fairly easy.  So lemme break it down for you...

Fabric:
Plaid suiting I picked up from JoAnn's.  The pocket lining is gabardine and matches the green in the plaid perfectly.  Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the pockets and it's kind of hard to see the green stripe in the plaid.


Alterations:
The bodic darts were both moved over closer to the sides by 2 inches and shortened by 1 inch.  The bust darts were also shortened by 1 inch.  I used pleats instead of the gathers on the skirt.  The front and back shoulders were extended by 2 inches and the neckline was made more round in preperation for.....


My own little something special:
A peter pan collar drafted using Gertie's fabulous book.  If you don't own this book yet I highly recommend getting it.  Gertie is just the bomb!

I intended on taking pictures outside but it's real windy out as you can see (who am I shitting, it's always windy out here in the country)..and absolutely freezing.


I had to make due with the laundry/sewing room.  It's the best room in the house for pictures as far as lighting goes.



 I'm super duper serial guysss!!



Matching the plaids was a real chore.  I have to say I did a fairly good job considering I totally forgot I was working with plaid when I cut my pattern out. Doh!  The hardest part was trying to match up the plaid while installing the invisible zipper.
 


I will now be working on the Sewaholic's Thurlow trousers.  Lladybird is having a sew along and I'm a little behind.  I guess shitty days like these are good for something, catching up on sewing projects.




You Might Also Like

33 comments

  1. Very fashionable, flattering, and fabulous dress on you. Your Peter Pan collar is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't believe I was able to make my own!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. Great fabric and fit. I am in spring now but when winter comes around down here in Oz I'd love to make a winter Peony like yours. It's very classy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far this is my favorite Colette dress. It's so comfy too.

      Delete
  3. So cute. I love the collar addition. I'm loving my Peony so much I'm thinking about other versions and I think adding a collar will keep my wardrobe interesting. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I'm Peony obsessed now. I'm going to finish my muslin and make it wearable then I've been thinking of all the other Peony's I could make!!

      Delete
  4. Very nice plaid matching!
    -Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a real bear but I made it happen.

      Delete
  5. Super pretty! Now I want to make a Peony, suddenly ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Peter Pan collar, its a great fit, and I'm really impressed at how well you matched the plaid at the seams. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad that the peter pan collar turned out so well.

      Delete
  7. This is a great looking dress! I really like the Peter Pan collar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is freaking ADORABLE!! It's gotta be my favourite thing that you've made so far! It's awesome :) You look so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it's one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  9. Your Peony is spectacular: so autumnal, so stylish, so perfect. You scored an awesome fit! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So perfect! I'm am very very jealous of the fit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! This looks adorable on you! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous looks so pretty on you!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh such a lovely dress. Just perfect for the Autumn and such a lovely pairing with your colouring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love your name by the way! Always said if I ever had a girl I wanted to name her Rehanon, though I've never seen it spelled that way. I only seen it spelled Rhiannon like the Fleetwood Mac song. :)

      Delete
  14. I'm late on this but I just had to tell you I love this. I really would never have thought of adding a collar to this dress and I think it looks great and managed to keep it's 60's vibe! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! I'm amazed that I was able to pull it off! lol

      Delete
  15. That dress is sooooo cute!!! ;D Love the collar and that it has pockets.

    xo
    summer

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's soooooo cute! The nicest Peony I've seen, great work lady! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks really great, very flattering :)

    ReplyDelete